Bibles are commonly given as a gift as a form of support and love. Many Bibles even have special pages just for writing notes, and these make any Bible all the more special for the recipient.
Our Top Gift Bible Picks
Jump ahead to these sections:
- What to Write in a Bible Given as a Sympathy Gift
- What to Write in a Bible Given as a Wedding Present
- What to Write in a Bible Given as a Birthday Present
- What to Write in a Bible Given as a Baby Shower Present
- What to Write in a Bible for a Significant Other or Spouse
Whether you’re gifting a Bible as part of Christian condolences or a wedding present, be thoughtful with your message. Finding the right words to say during life milestones, changes, and challenges isn’t always easy. The right Bible verses for strength are a source of inspiration and support throughout life.
In this guide, we compiled a list of 25+ message ideas for a gift Bible. As long as your sentiment comes from the heart, it’s sure to be received with open arms.
What to Write in a Bible Given as a Sympathy Gift
In Christianity, Bibles are seen as a symbol of hope and faith. They can be a great source of strength in times of need, and that’s why they make the perfect sympathy gift for someone or a family who experienced a loss.
Before giving your recipient the Bible, inscribe it with one of these heartfelt messages below. This is a keepsake they’ll hold close through dark times.
1. No words can take away your grief. Know that you’re in our prayers.
Reminding a loved one that he or she is in your prayers in a difficult time is a welcome form of support. While grief is a complex feeling, nobody wants to feel like they’re alone.
2. I am praying for you now and always.
A prayer is a form of sympathy, and it’s a way to keep someone close to your heart. Let your recipient know that you don’t only pray for them right now but all the time, always fighting for their best interest.
3. May the Lord bless and comfort your family during this loss.
Wishing a short and simple blessing to the family when they need it most is a powerful message. Staying true to one’s faith is often a form of healing in itself.
4. [Name] went to Heaven too soon. May God rest his/her soul.
Though it’s hard to lose a loved one, there is peace in knowing that they now rest at ease with God in Heaven. This type of sympathy message encourages reflection and remembrance.
5. I will never forget [Name]’s strength and character. A good soul has risen to Heaven.
Again, knowing that a deceased loved one is in God’s care brings much-needed comfort and support. In addition, it’s important to identify that those we lose will never be forgotten.
What to Write in a Bible Given as a Wedding Present
Bibles are also a popular wedding gift, especially for a Christian couple who holds their faith near. This is a great opportunity to highlight your favorite scripture or just wish the couple well on their new life together in holy matrimony.
6. God bless your union and your new journey.
This message above is short but meaningful. A marriage is in many ways a new adventure, and you should wish the couple well as they embark on this path together with God.
7. “Love is patient, love is kind.” (Corinthians 13:4-8)
In a world with so much uncertainty, love is one of the things we all have in common. This beautiful scripture is a reminder that love always trusts and love always perseveres, even when life gets rough.
8. Congratulations on your wedding. May the Lord bless you throughout your life.
It’s also important to use this time to say congratulations on such a huge milestone. From there, bless the couple and encourage them to hold fast to their faith throughout their lives.
9. Congrats to the happy couple. Let His word be a light for your new journey together.
Marriage is a path traveled by two halves of the same whole. This Bible serves as a guiding light, leading the couple towards their destiny, wherever that may be.
10. “For love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave.” (Song of Solomon 8:6-7)
When two people enter into a marriage, this is a sacred and ancient tradition. It’s not to be taken lightly, and this scripture is a reminder that love truly can conquer all.
What to Write in a Bible Given as a Birthday Present
If you’re wondering what to write in a book given as a gift, the Bible is a great guide. While many Bibles have a dedication page for writing your own message, you might also include a note or handwritten message anywhere that feels right to you. These messages are perfect for any birthday.
11. May the Lord’s light shine upon you on this birthday and for many more to come.
Feeling the light of the Lord is something that brings peace to many Christians. This birthday message wishes the recipient well not only today but into the future.
12. Today is when we remember how blessed the world is because God gave us you.
This message is especially fitting for a child, which is a blessing in itself. Each person brings their own unique attributes to the world, offering a bit of God’s grace in every moment.
13. “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (Psalm 37:4)
This verse above shows how God rewards those who follow his teachings. If you’re true to your faith and your beliefs, there is nothing that can get in your way.
14. “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)
While a bit darker, this scripture packs an important punch. Though everyone has a limited number of days, there are no limits to the wisdom the Lord gives us. It’s up to each individual to live life to the fullest.
15. Happy Birthday in faith! May this year bring many blessings.
Each year is another opportunity to walk in the Lord’s footsteps. Honoring each birthday for the blessing that it ensures that you’re strong in your faith.
What to Write in a Bible Given as a Baby Shower Present
It’s common to gift a Bible to a newborn, either during a Christening or as a baby shower present. In many cases, this is the child's first Bible. These messages are perfect for marking the occasion.
16. Children are a gift from the lord. Congratulations!
This message is more to the parent than the child, but it’s a beautiful way to say congratulations on the blessing of a child. Whenever the parents see this Bible, they’ll think of you.
17. I pray for happiness and health for you and your child.
Remind your recipient that both they and their new blessing are in your thoughts and prayers. You’ll always be there if they need you, and this means the world to them.
18. May God bless this child.
This short and simple message is a powerful reminder that God loves all children and creates them in his image. If this child is firm to their faith, they are sure to be blessed for all their days.
19. “Let the children come to me and do not stop them.” (Matthew 19:14)
All children are welcome to Christ. This Bible will likely be one of their first introductions to the Christian faith, and this is the perfect way to embrace them into this tradition.
20. I can’t wait to watch you grow and follow the path of the Lord.
This is a message that children can look back on as they grow and change. Life often takes people down different paths, and this reminder shows the power of faith.
What to Write in a Bible for a Significant Other or Spouse
Last but not least, a Bible message for a significant other or spouse can bring the couple together. We can all use a message of love and support from the one we’re closest to.
21. “Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.” (Corinthians 16:13-14)
This scripture is a message of strength. It’s a beacon of light in the darkness, encouraging your partner to stay true to their faith.
22. I love you in every breath and every prayer.
A spouse or partner is a part of your life in the most intense, heartfelt way. This message highlights just how much they mean to you.
23. Thank you for being my partner in life, love, and faith.
We don’t always remember to say thank you to the ones we love the most. Taking a few moments to inscribe this message is sure to warm their heart.
24. “God is our refuge and strength.” (Psalm 46:1)
God is always there to offer strength when we need it the most. This scripture is short, yet it emphasizes the importance of putting God first in challenging times.
25. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God.” (John 4:7)
Last but not least, this message is a tribute to marriage and togetherness. Coming together in love is one of the greatest, most courageous things one can ever do.
Share a Message of Faith and Support
Whether you’re creating a sympathy gift basket or a baby shower gift, Bibles have long been a staple of Christian gift giving. Including a heartfelt, personalized message inscribed in the Bible makes these an heirloom families will hold onto for years to come.
Sharing your favorite scripture, prayers, and reminders is the best way to bring people together. When your recipient looks upon this Bible or reads from it, they’ll be reminded of you and your love. This is a gift in itself, and it’s a part of coming together through your faith.