Losing an immediate family member is one of the most difficult things someone can experience. How do you put into words your profound condolences for someone’s loss?
If it’s a sibling they were especially close to, this could be absolutely devastating. Whether you choose to post on social media or say you’re sorry in person, these messages are a source of strength for the bereaved.
Our Picks for Offering Condolences
- Vase of Fresh-Cut Flowers ($43.00)
- Gourmet Charcuterie and Cheese Box ($59.99)
- Freshly Baked Cookies ($35.99)
- Gourmet Muffins and Bread ($59.99)
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother for a Text
- Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother to Share on Social Media
- Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother for a Card
- Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother to Say In Person
- Sympathy Messages for the Sudden or Tragic Loss of a Brother
- Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Brother-in-Law
- Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Twin Brother
- Religious Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Brother
When writing a condolence message for this type of loss, it’s best to be brief. You want to let the family know you’re thinking of them, but you also don’t want to make your message about you.
Lean on your own emotions and feelings to ensure kind and empathetic language. If you don’t know where to begin, try these 25+ condolence messages for someone who lost a brother.
Tip: Someone who's lost a brother might be tasked with sorting through the complex life he left behind. And that can be extremely challenging when they're already overwhelmed by grief. To lend some practical support, consider sharing our post-loss checklist.
Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother for a Text
While not a substitute for a card or in-person sympathy messages, a text message is a quick way to let someone know you’re thinking of them. If you recently heard the news about someone’s death, texting an “I’m sorry for your loss” message shows your support.
If a text doesn't quite feel like enough, but you can't be there in person, consider sending your loved one a vase of fresh-cut flowers or a gourmet charcuterie and cheese box with one of these messages.
1. I just heard the news about John. I’m so sorry for your loss. Let me know if you need absolutely anything.
While simple, this message is a sign that you care in a time of need.
2. I’m truly at a loss for words about Samuel’s passing. You and your family are in my prayers.
If the death is sudden, let them know you’re thinking of them and praying for their family.
3. I am saddened to hear of your brother’s passing. He was a great man, and I’ll never forget his infectious smile. Please let me know if there’s anything you need.
Letting the person know about the legacy of their brother reminds them that their memory is still alive even if their soul moved on.
4. I can’t imagine how you must feel right now. I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences go out to you and your family.
A common mistake with sympathy messages is claiming to understand what the bereaved is feeling. This isn’t something you can likely relate to unless you’ve experienced the same loss yourself, so keep the focus on them.
5. I was so sad when I heard the news about your brother. He will forever be remembered as one of the greatest guys I ever knew.
If you remember the recipient’s brother fondly, let them know. These memories mean the world to them.
6. I’m so sorry about your brother. I know the two of you were very close, and you have all of my sympathies during this time.
Losing a close relative is one of the hardest things to experience. Providing your sympathy lets them know they’re not alone.
7. Losing a brother is one of the saddest things that can happen. We all share in your grief at this difficult time.
While you can’t possibly understand what the grieving person is feeling, you can be there for them.
Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother to Share on Social Media
Because social media is such an important part of our lives, it’s common to share messages of sympathy and grief on these platforms. Take this opportunity to share your sadness, significant memories, and kind words.
8. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy on the passing of your brother. He was a strong, passionate person. His memory will live on with you and all of those whose lives were touched by him.
Hearing about these positive qualities provides comfort in a time of pain. Sharing some of your favorite things about the deceased creates a strong memorial in their honor.
9. Your brother’s departure was very unexpected for everyone. Please accept my deepest condolences for this loss. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.
If you aren’t close with the bereaved or their brother, it’s best to use a short and sweet message like this one.
10. Your brother left us at far too young of an age, but he still leaves behind an impressive legacy. My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family.
If the deceased passed away young or out of the blue, sympathize with this pain with a few words.
11. A brother is someone who shares your childhood memories and lifelong dreams. I’m so sorry for your loss. Please let me know how I can help.
While it’s true you might not be able to understand their specific grief, you can relate to the experience of being close to someone since childhood. Affirming this relationship shows you care.
12. It’s hard to put into words how sorry I am for your loss. May you find comfort and peace.
If you’re not very close to the grieving family, this message is a respectful way to offer kindness.
13. Your brother is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Though I didn’t know him long, I will never forget him. Stay strong during this time. We’re all here for you.
If you did know the deceased, but only for a short time, share a few words about how you remember them.
14. We are so sorry to hear about Jared. Please know that our entire family is thinking of you.
Sometimes you deliver a social media message on behalf of your entire family, so sum up everyone’s feelings without going overboard.
Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother for a Card
It’s very common to send a sympathy card if someone you know experiences a loss. This is a simple but powerful way to show your thoughts are with the grieving family. If you're sending a card, you might consider sending something comforting, like this tin of fresh-baked cookies or gourmet muffins and bread to make their day a little brighter.
15. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. In this challenging time, I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences.
Sometimes less is more. Keeping your sympathy message to-the-point avoids the risk of overstepping.
16. I’m so sorry for your loss. Know that I’m here for you if you need anything at all. Bless you.
Many people feel isolated when they lose someone close to them. Show that you’ll always be there.
17. I can’t imagine what your family is going through. Please know that I’m only a phone call away if you need any help. You have all of my condolences.
Don’t try to walk in their footsteps. You can’t understand their grief, but you can be someone to talk to.
18. I pray that you find peace during this difficult period. Please accept my deepest condolences for your brother.
If you or the grieving family are religious, let them know you’ll keep them in your prayers.
19. He will always be remembered. Your brother was a light in this world.
Saying something kind about the deceased is a sign of respect, and these words mean everything to the family.
20. I know there are no words that provide the comfort you need right now. Please do not hesitate to reach out if there’s anything you need. My deepest sympathies go out to you.
Sometimes the right words don’t exist. It’s okay to admit that you don’t know how to put your grief into words.
21. My heart goes out to your family on the passing of your brother. He was a gentle, passionate soul. I will never forget him.
Most people worry that their loved one will be forgotten. Sharing that you’ll keep their legacy with you is a powerful form of support.
Words of Sympathy for a Loss of Brother to Say In Person
Additionally, don’t forget to offer your sympathy in person. While it’s intimidating to find the perfect words, especially in a time of grief and pain, these in-person messages carry a lot of weight.
22. I am so sorry for this sad news. May his soul rest in peace.
Sometimes it’s best to keep your message short. Saying you’re sorry is usually enough, especially if you aren’t close.
23. Your brother led a remarkable life, and he was an inspiration to me.
Instead of dwelling on grief, mention the profound impact the deceased had on you.
24. I can’t imagine how painful this loss is for you. I’ll be thinking of you.
Don’t try to sympathize if you can’t relate. Instead, let the grieving know that they’re on your mind during this challenging time.
25. Your brother will always be in my heart. Please accept my condolences.
If you were close to the deceased, express what they meant to you and a message of support.
Sympathy Messages for the Sudden or Tragic Loss of a Brother
While losing a brother on its own is hard, it can be even more earth-shattering if this loss is sudden or unexpected. Tragedies come in all shapes and sizes. It’s hard to find the right words to say if someone you know lost a brother suddenly or tragically. Let these messages guide you.
26. I’m so shocked to hear about this unexpected loss of your brother. He was an amazing person.
To begin, it’s okay to admit that you’re also shocked by this loss. Relating to your loved one’s experience helps them feel heard and understood.
27. I wish I knew the right words to say. Just know that I’m always here for you.
Similarly, it’s always okay if you don’t know what to say. Instead of using typical cliches, just let your recipient know you’re there for them. Your support is the most important thing you can share.
28. While your brother is gone, he’ll never be forgotten. I’m so sorry for this sudden loss.
The loss of a brother is felt by all. Though your loved one’s brother is no longer here, that doesn’t make their special bond any less real and meaningful.
29. My heart goes out to you during the loss of your brother. Please be kind to yourself.
Remind your recipient to be kind to himself or herself during this loss. It feels impossible to put yourself first in a time of crisis, but you need to be respectful of your own feelings during this difficult time.
30. An amazing man has left this world too soon. I can’t begin to express how sorry I am.
Finally, honor the man your loved one’s brother was. Though he’s gone too soon, that doesn’t make his life any less impactful.
Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Brother-in-Law
Though not bound by blood, a brother-in-law can still feel like a close member of the family. Losing a brother disrupts the entire dynamic of the family, and it can leave everyone reeling. These sympathy messages are perfect for capturing the unique feelings after the loss of a brother-in-law.
31. I’m so sorry for your loss. I know you and your brother-in-law were so close.
First, acknowledge the relationship between your recipient and their brother-in-law. You make them feel heard by showing that you saw the value and meaning in their relationship.
32. Your family is in my thoughts during this time. I wish peace and comfort to you all.
The entire family is likely struggling with this type of loss. Though you should support your loved one, make sure they know you’re thinking of their whole family. Together, they can get through this.
33. Your brother-in-law was an amazing man. I’ll never forget his…
When in doubt, share a special memory about the deceased. Anything you remember that was a part of his unique personality helps tell his story. By speaking about what he meant to you, his legacy stays alive.
34. I’m at a total loss for words upon hearing about [Name]. Just know that you are in my thoughts. Please accept my deepest sympathies.
Again, it’s okay if you don’t have the “right” words. The most important thing you can do is be there for your loved one and show you care.
35. Words seem trivial to what your family must be going through right now. I hope your joyful memories with your brother-in-law bring you peace during this time. Wishing you the best.
Lastly, words sometimes fall short. Instead of focusing on what you can say to “fix” the situation, encourage your loved one to find peace within his or her happy memories.
Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Twin Brother
A twin is life’s first friend. They are someone who’s been with you through everything, childhood and beyond. Losing a twin is an experience few can put into words, and it’s impossible to understand how your recipient feels fully. While you can’t relate to this life-changing loss, you can still honor their grief.
36. Not all twins walk side by side, but your twin brother will be watching over you forever.
A twin is a best friend for life. Even though your loved one’s twin is no longer beside him or her, that doesn’t make their bond any less real.
37. You have my deepest condolences for your loss. Know he’ll always be with you.
Remind your recipient that his or her twin never leaves them. Though separated physically, they’re always together in spirit. Twins share a bond that’s stronger than both life and death.
38. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your heart will always have your beloved brother.
Similarly, let your recipient know that they carry their brother with them in their own heart. Those we love are always a part of us. They live through us, and we tell their stories.
39. Some people bring a light so strong, we still feel it shining after they’re gone. Please know that I’m with you during this time.
After a huge loss, it’s easy to fall into depths of sadness. Though this is normal, your loved one also can find the strength to continue living if they’re willing to use their support system.
40. Sometimes there are no words to express my condolences. My heart breaks for you. Know that your twin was loved and admired by all, and I will always remember him.
Finally, empathize with your loved one by letting them know your heart breaks for them. Their twin was someone you admired, which means their legacy lives on.
Religious Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Brother
Finally, religious messages sometimes comfort those who use their beliefs to find peace. If you know your recipient would appreciate religious messages, consider these ideas below. Though you should always be aware of their sensitivities regarding their faith, this can be very thoughtful and appreciated.
41. “Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.” (Matthews 5:4)
This famous Matthews quote is a reminder that mourning is a normal part of life. Though difficult, it can also be an opportunity to grow closer to God and one’s faith.
42. May your brother’s memory be a blessing. They are protected under God.
The memory of a lost loved one is a way to bring them closer to our spirit. Knowing that your recipient’s brother is protected with God in Heaven can be a way to feel comfort even in a crisis. They’re not alone.
43. Since learning about your loss, I have not stopped praying for you. May you find peace in your faith during this time.
If you’ve been praying for your loved one’s strength, let them know they’re the focus of your prayers. Faith can be a way to find peace, especially when everything else feels like it’s falling to pieces.
44. God is with you during this loss. May you find strength and comfort in Him as you grieve your beautiful brother.
God is always with you, but he’s especially near during a loss. Turning to Him for support is a way to grow in your faith and compassion.
45. Wishing you peace, prayers, and compassion as you mourn your brother.
Finally, encourage your recipient to seek peace, prayers, and compassion. Mourning is difficult, but it can also bring him or her closer to their brother’s memory.
Offer Condolences and Support
It’s hard to understand just how painful it is to lose a brother unless you’ve been through it yourself. Whether you’re facing someone’s death anniversary or a friend experiences the loss of a sibling, know how to offer support at this difficult time. Remember, this is about the grieving and their sympathy. This isn’t the place for your own feelings or problems, even if you also are saddened by the passing.
When in doubt, less is more. The grieving family doesn’t always have time for long, drawn-out messages, so keep it to the point. As long as you’re showing support and being genuine, that meaning comes through for the recipient.
If you still need ideas on what to do when a loved one loses their brother, read our guide on the best memorial gift for the loss of a brother.