Code of conduct
We encourage our users to share their ideas and participate in discussions in our Forum. In the spirit of maintaining a positive, safe and trustworthy environment for everyone, we ask you to abide by our Code of Conduct and adhere to the following rules when posting content and interacting with other users.
Above all, we expect our users to be kind, helpful and respectful. We created the Forum with the intent of creating a safe space for people to ask questions, share stories and celebrate accomplishments related to end-of-life planning and death. This is by no means mandatory, but it is greatly appreciated and helps foster a safe and helpful community.
- Adult content: We remove content that displays, advocates for, or coordinates sexual acts with others whether the parties involved are consenting or non-consenting. Examples of this include:
- Content about sexual services, such as prostitution and escort services.
- Content promoting trafficking, coercion, and non-consensual sexual acts.
- Child safety: We do not allow content that sexually exploits or endangers children. We will terminate the accounts of any user we find breaking these rules and may report them to law enforcement. Examples of this include:
- Sexual or suggestive content involving minors.
- Content that promotes pedophilia and sexual attraction toward children.
- We know that sometimes people share nude images of their own children with good intentions (e.g. baby photos); however, we generally remove these images because of the potential for abuse by others and to help avoid the possibility of other people misappropriating the images on other sites.
- Crude content: Don't post content that is shocking or graphic. (For example, don't post images of accident scenes.)
- Hate speech: We do not allow content that promotes hate or violence towards specific groups, which may include race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Bullying and harassment: We want users to express opinions, even difficult ones, but don't cross the line by harassing or bullying others. Online harassment is also illegal in many regions and may have serious offline consequences.
- Violence: We want our users to feel safe and respected while using Cake. Making threats of harm or death to other users will not be tolerated and severe offenses may be reported to law enforcement.
- Personal and confidential information: It's not okay to publish another person's personal and confidential information in the forums. This includes addresses of their home or business, telephone numbers, credit card information and bank information.
- The forums and blog are public spaces that are indexed by search engines. Therefore, we discourage users from posting personal information (such as bank account numbers) on the forums as we cannot prevent this information from being visible to the general public.
- The app remains a secure and private space. We do not show the contents of your Cake Profile, Messages or uploaded documents to anyone but you and anyone you have chosen to share your profile with. You can check your sharing settings here.
- Impersonating others: Don't mislead or confuse users by pretending to be someone else or representing a group or organization you don't.
- Spam: We may delete posts that are intended to promote your site or product, especially if they are irrelevant to the discussion.
- Solicitation of goods and services: We discourage posts and links about goods, and services if they are not relevant to the discussion. The posting of links that are related to a discussion will be considered on a case-by-case basis. (For example, a user is seeking recommendations about cremains jewelry and you post an Etsy link.) Examples of posts that may be removed:
- Links to fundraising pages (e.g. GoFundMe)
- Requesting participation in surveys and studies
- Referral links to purchase services
If you encounter a message that you believe violates our content policies, please report it to us using the 'Report' link (located below the post). Alternatively, you can sent a screenshot and description of the post to email@example.com.
Our team will review the reported post for policy violations. If the post does not violate our policies, we will not take any action. If the post does violate our policies, we will take one or more of the following actions based on the severity of the violation:
- Removing the content
- Temporary or permanent suspension of offending account
- Reporting the user to law enforcement
Medical, Legal and Emergency Advice Disclaimer
If you have any questions regarding the use and features of the Site, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of our Site. All other questions or comments about the Site should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.